Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thing #11: LibraryThing

On your blog, write a Thing #11 post about your experience with LibraryThing. How do you think it could be useful to you in your situation? Did you check out any of the groups? Did you find a group of users that share your interests?

I created a LibraryThing account which is very much like Shelfari but has some noticeable differences. The registration process was EXTREMELY easy and quick. But once I logged on, I was bombarded with too much information and options. One major difference is that in LibraryThing, users can choose how to view the catalog and can print copies of the catalog.

I have used online book-networking sites, such as Shelfari, in my classroom. I could use LibraryThing with my students in the library in some of the same ways- to connect students with other readers, for rich discussion about books, as pre-reading to find information about the book, or post-reading to add information about the book. Students, and adults, easily lose track of the books they've previously read and the books they intend to read, and this online site helps with those challenges.

I looked at some of the groups that were created. I "joined" the group: Welcome to LibraryThing! It's purpose is to help new members get familiar with the online community by allowing them to introduce themselves, ask questions and learn about everything the LibraryThing community and site have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment